Andrew A. Neuschwander
1540 W Kent Ave
Missoula, MT 59801
Phone (406) 396 - 5230
- Linux Systems Administration and
Programming in science and technology.
Computing for Multi-Terabyte Scale Science.
- End-to-end research datacenter design, implementation and management.
Summary of qualifications
12 years of Professional Linux experience. Experienced in designing,
implementing, and managing server, storage, network, cluster, and
virtualization solutions. Experienced in multi-terabyte data management
and cluster based parallel processing. Experienced in heterogeneous
server environments. Can evaluate and implement custom solutions for a wide variety of research and IT needs. Familiar with an extensive number of server technologies including VMWare VI3, EMC Networker, EMC Clariion, Fiber Channel, InfiniBand, Dell PowerEdge rack and blade hardware, RHCS/GFS clustered filesystems.
Experienced in many languages, including: Perl, C, PHP, Bourne Shell,
SQL and others. Familiar with many common tools such as gcc, insure++, cvs, and
subversion. Familiar with multiple paradigms: systems, application,
web-based, and parallel programming.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate Boot Camp - March 2009
- RedHat Certified Engineer
(RHCE) on RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 (certification #804005507017025).
May 2001 - Present Linux
Systems and Software Engineer
Numerical Terradynamic Simulation Group, The University of Montana -
National Center for Landscape Fire Analysis, The University of
Montana - Missoula, MT
- Designed, deployed, and manage a research datacenter for several
data-intensive research groups.
- Provide code integration and programming support for ecosystem
science software models.
- Responsible for a multi-terabyte data warehouse and the Linux
cluster to process these data.
- As part of a team; developed, deployed, and maintain a remote
wireless research data network.
May 2004 - Dec 2004 Research
Collaborator and Advisor on Cluster-Based Computing
Systems for Environmental Management on contract with NASA Ames
- Provided experienced based advice on network design, cluster
maintenance, and data management
- Executed regular detailed security and systems audit and review.
Dec 2000 - Jan 2002 Linux
Systems Administrator and Programmer
TRIO Training, University of Washington - Missoula, MT
- Designed and implemented a multi-user web design competition
environment for a nation wide user base. Provided secure multi-user
remote web-programming tools.
Mar 2000 - Nov 2000 Linux
Systems Administrator and Programmer
Information Technology Resource Center, The University of Montana -
- Implemented core network and streaming multi-media services.
- Designed, developed, and maintained enterprise level network
- Participated in international community based Open Source
- Other projects included a collaborative software development
environment and an online video management library.
Sept 1999 - Jan 2000 Independent
Consultant to Big Sky Network Technologies Missoula, MT
- Developed and maintained C and Perl applications to administer
network services and monitor ISP user loads across a geographically
May 1997 - Sept 1999 Systems
Big Sky Network Technologies - Missoula, MT
- Administered a network of Windows NT, Linux, and Solaris servers
in a 24 by 7 ISP environment.
- Implemented a wide range of network services and related
- Developed and implemented a network security model and policies.
Publications & presentations
Deploying a Remote Data and Communications Network in Denali National Park
Riddering J., L. Queen, C. Teske, A. Neuschwander, C. Stonesifer, E. Lynn, D. Warthin, M. Thornton, G. Wilson
BGC5: New Features and Usage Changes in the Next Major Release of Biome-BGC
Neuschwander A., B. Bond-Lamberty, poster presentation at the AGU Joint Assembly 2007, Acapulco, Mexico, May 2007.
Distributed Application Framework for Earth Science Data Processing
Votva P., R. Nemani, C. Bowker, A. Michaelis,
A. Neuschwander, J. Coughlan, proceedings paper at The
International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Toronto,
CA, June 2002.
An Automated Data Ingestion and Cataloging System
Neuschwander A., poster presentation at NASA ESIP Federation 2nd Technical
Workshop, Pasadena, CA, January 2003.
American Geophysical Union Joint Assembly 2007
May 22 - 25, 2007 Acapulco, Mexico
American Geophysical Union Fall 2006
December 11 - 15, 2006 San Francisco, CA
Biome-BGC / RHESSys Workshop 2006
April 25 - 27, 2006 NTSG, Missoula, MT
MODIS Vegetation Workshop II August 17
- 19, 2004 NTSG, Missoula, MT
NASA ESIP Federation 2nd Technical Workshop
January 6 - 9, 2003 JPL, Pasadena, CA
MODIS Vegetation Workshop July 16 -
18, 2002 NTSG, Missoula, MT
Science Data Processing Workshop
February 26 - 28, 2002 GSFC, Greenbelt, MD
1995 - 2000 The University of Montana - Missoula, MT
Bachelor of Arts in Biology
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics
- Emphasis in Botanical Sciences.
1991 - 1995 Westmont High School - Campbell, CA
- Emphasis in Applied Analysis
Additional academic activities
Summer 1999 Flathead Lake Biological
Station Yellow Bay, MT
- On the Bioenergetics of Mysis Relicta under Dr. Jack